|Shakedown Cruise List for Inboards|
If it's been awhile since you last ran your inboard, here are a few things to check before you leave the dock:
* Battery fluid levels (if applicable) and state of charge
* Engine zincs; replace any that are half gone
* Expansion tanks for proper coolant level
* Hoses for cracks, leaks and soft spots, hose clamps for tightness
* Drive belts for proper tension
* Exhaust outlets, underwater and through hull fittings, and engine room air vents for obstructions
* Air filters for cleanliness and obstructions
* Oil levels in engines and marine gears
* Oil pressure gauges; at startup, with the controls in neutral and throttle at minimum rpm. Make sure both the engine's and transmission's gauges begin to come up within 15 seconds - if not, shut down the engines and call a mechanic.
* For any leaks or unusual sounds with the engine(s) running.
* All instruments for readings during a short shakedown cruise
* Engine and transmission oil levels after your shakedown cruise
- Steve Hicks